Sr. Manager/Director of QA
SAN CARLOS, CA
This position features a breadth of quality assurance responsibilities, serving as a key QA liaison for hardware products, software platforms, and more.
Bluescape helps companies create better. Its visual collaboration software gives teams a virtual workspace to meet, share, and develop ideas. Founded in 2012, Bluescape is a wholly owned subsidiary of Haworth. Our company culture represents an intermix between passion for technology and rock-star output and an appreciation for a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
We are located right in the heart of the peninsula, minutes away from the freeway and restaurants. Our office is beautiful, snacks are plentiful, and innovation is in the air. We’re all entrepreneurs here no matter what your role is, so if you want a hands-on, fast-paced environment to learn and thrive in, we’d love to hear from you.
About the Role
Reporting to the VP, Development Operations, this position will be responsible for people, process & technology for Quality Assurance of Bluescape SaaS service. You must have relevant experience, deep understanding & strong command over developing Quality Assurance standards, implementing related processes, choosing relevant tools/technology along with people management in a Agile environment supporting fast moving projects. You must be proficient in overseeing the development & execution of software test plans & analysis of test results that can be implemented to scale. You must have hands-on experience to identify solutions that work in a rapidly growing SaaS organization, mentor and guide, direct team members accordingly. The right candidate will have excellent communication skills, a passion for open source technology tools & application diagnostics in at least one of Java / Node.js / Python environments for a SaaS enterprise with a structured approach to achieve high-quality sustainable QA processes.
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of Bluescape products. This includes the software associated with the Bluescape Service, and the hardware that makes up the Bluescape Walls (e.g. – multi-touch monitors, Linux computer, A/V components).
- Test pre-release Bluescape products and provide constructive feedback to product management and engineering.
- Effectively communicate with customers via email, live chat, and on the phone to triage issues with Bluescape products.
- Use sound problem-solving skills to determine the root cause of issues customers are facing.
- Write customer-facing documentation (aka – knowledge base articles) that describe how best to use Bluescape products.
- Write internal documentation used by the customer support team to assist with triaging customer issues.
- Use Bluescape’s chosen CRM tools to track customer issues.
- File product issues for engineering review using Bluescape’s problem tracking system.
- Build and maintain positive, collaborative working relationships with Bluescape teams, customers, influencers, and dealer partners to drive organizational goals and objectives.
- Take initiative to stay current on products and company strategies to address customer, client, and partner questions.
- Occasional travel to customer sites providing onsite support that may include the installation/replacement of Bluescape hardware is a possibility.
Position Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee & manage a team of 15 (manual & automation) QA engineers distributed between outsourced(6) & local members(9) – organized by application-client and implement strategies to scale.
- Application release co-ordination with relevant teams (DevOps, Engineering, PM).
- Help Identify, diagnose, co-ordinate and resolve QA dependencies for multi-client SaaS product being supported on several different versions of browsers & multiple operating systems.
- Work closely with the DevOps & Engineering team to escalate issues for triage and resolution.
- Regularly review test plans, analyze execution results, tickets and diagnostics with a post-mortem to identify trends or chronic issues and recommend corrections as appropriate.
- Work with relevant teams in developing a plan & implementation for automation, load-testing testing frameworks & infrastructure to ensure SaaS stability & scale with growing customer needs.
Skills & Expectations:
- Four-year technical degree or equivalent experience with Minimum of 7+ years of experience working in QA, with at least 3+ years exposure to QA of SaaS applications.
- Expertise in development of test cases, test plans for a multi-client application in a SaaS environment.
- Experience in automation frameworks with integration to defect tracking systems is a significant plus.
- Strong hands-on experience in defect tracking process/tools for Agile environments (ideally JIRA) with at least one of QA test process management plugins.
- Management experience with a passion for troubleshooting, triage and bring issues to rapid resolution.
- Extensive working knowledge of as many of the following technologies and areas as possible:
- Systems – Linux, Unix, Java & open source software
- Command over popular scripting languages / Web frameworks to enable diagnostics & automation of release processes – ideally a strong experience in one of Java / NodeJS / Python & a good working knowledge of Shell.
- Knowledge and understanding of pros/cons of multiple QA automation frameworks with a extensive experience and strong command over at least one.
- Knowledge of one or more databases, with at least one RDBMS and one noSQL
- Working knowledge of SAML, Single-Sign-On, Networking Protocols, http/https/websocket, ELBs, LDAP, Web servers / reverse proxy like nginx, haproxy, and other related technologies.
- Good working knowledge of source code control systems such as svn and git (or similar)
- Knowledge & experience in continuous integration and continuous deployment systems.
- Ability to prioritize & balance activity between projects for longer-term impact –and- immediate production critical requirements with a customer focus.
- Excellent oral and written communication with the ability to work in a collaborative environment is essential.